The Grateful Dogs Rescue adoption procedure is designed to find a good match between the dog and adopter. Our goal is a happy human and happy dog in a “forever home.” The adoption procedure includes the following steps:
- The completion of an application
- An interview with one of our volunteers
- A get acquainted meeting with the dog and all family members, including other pets
- A home visit
- May include confirmation that the landlord, homeowner’s association, and/or city/county ordinances allow the dog to live in the residence
Adoptions are local, confined to San Francisco Bay Area. If you see a dog on our website or meet one at an adoption fair that you are interested in getting to know, please complete our online adoption application. One of our volunteers will get back to you as soon as possible. If you prefer, you may call or email us, but this can delay the adoption process.
Grateful Dogs Rescue incurs substantial veterinary and other expenses in rescuing and rehoming our dogs. Our average cost is about $800 per dog rescued, but can be as high as several thousand dollars for certain dogs that require orthopedic or other surgery or specialized care. In order to recoup some of these costs, we request a tax-deductible donation for the adoption of each dog.
Suggested donation levels are (as of January 1, 2021):
- $500 or more for puppies (up to 6 months) and certain adult dogs*
- $300 or more for adolescent and adult dogs
- $200 or more for senior (10+ years) and special needs dogs.
*such as hypoallergenic breeds. In such cases, this will be clearly stated.
Disclaimer: Although Grateful Dogs Rescue strives for accuracy on the website, information can change. Please contact Grateful Dogs Rescue for the most current information on specific dogs. Also, information about dogs is based on the best of our knowledge, but no guarantees can be made about the dog’s health or temperament.
Start adoption process
Please complete the adoption application form below to start an adoption process fat Grateful Dogs Rescue.